Monday, July 18, 2011

Michael Graves-Johnston

My first book fair was the International fair held in Melbourne. At the time I was young and attending university. I worked part time for Paul at his second hand store in Newtown. I had never been to any book fair before so it was a real learning experience. Hordes of people came though the doors to fill the beautiful Melbourne Exhibition Hall. They ask me questions that I was not yet able to answer. People threw money into Paul's hands. I wrote receipt after receipt and gently wrapped the books up for the customers.

At the end of the first day I was utterly exhausted, but Paul said we were going to dinner and I should wear something nice. We walked into the centre of town and I was taken up a flight of stairs to a very nice Chinese restaurant. Paul walked over to a large table with two people sitting at it. It was Michael Graves-Johnston (Oscar) and his wife Carol.  We sat and ate beautiful food and sipped delicious wine. The book sellers reminisced about old times, joking and laughing. A very pleasant night.

It was at this point that I figured out what book selling was really all about. Book fairs are hard work, but it is the friendships made along the way that are important.

Every time I see Oscar and Carol I think about this moment, a moment that altered my path in life.



Michael Graves-Johnston has been a bookseller for over thirty years. He specializes in Africa, the Pacific, and tribal and ancient civilisations. 


Oscar, Paul, Ellie, Gabrielle, Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment