Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I've been to London dozens of times, but this is the first time I arrived feeling well rested. I jumped on a train because it didn't seem too difficult and I was right! It cost one quarter the price and is so much more efficient than staying in London traffic in a taxi. Fifteen minutes to Paddington Station and I'm sure there are only a few stops until my final destination. It's 6:30am here and I don't quite like the idea of waking up my hosts. If it was me, I'd still be in bed.

When I exit the Heathrow Express at the Station, I am blown away by the architectural feat of the arches spanning the space, and  an art Deco pattern strengthening the impression of scale.


***

The last time I wrote I was at Paddington train station drinking a tea and eating a croissant. Europe and the UK are the only places that you know, that if even if they look like the shop is a little dodgy, maybe even a bit too fast foody, that the pastry is going to be delicious. Buttery, flaky and crispy and soft all at the same time. I think this time I visit I'm going to enjoy myself.

It took me a while to get myself down to the right platform in the correct direction. The train was arriving on the platform so I hopped on. It was the wrong train, but I figured it out before the next station. I hopped off and checked that the next train has my destination. I also had a chance to check out the driver -a Rastifarian, eating a sandwich out of foil with a grin on his face. One hand on the brake the other on the sandwich.

I switched trains, cursing at all the stairs and the weight of my suitcase. I was really tough on my limit, only one pair of shoes and an outfit for each day and I wondered where this wait weight was coming from. I curse the ream of photocopies and the bottle of alcohol that I bought as a gift for my host. I really hope he likes it.

I arrived at my station with very little hassle, and probably a little too early for my host who was still having a shower when the door bell rang. His daughter answered the door, still in her pyjamas. I introduced myself as politely as I could and told her why I had arrived with a big suitcase. Paul hadn't told  my host what time I would be arriving and was rather shocked to find me sitting at his breakfast table. 

As we caught up my host's dog George bounced around begging for a walk. My host quickly showed me to  the bathroom with a bath and then went off to walk the dog. It had been such a long time since I had had a bath. It was very very nice to soak, especially after such a long journey. I had been going since 830am on the 7th and it was now 5pm on the 8th in Sydney but breakfast time in London.



After getting ready I went down for another chat with my host to find out if I could help in any way. He basically said no, so I went for a long walk to Brixton Village. It was fantastic going past so many open spaces, having parks in the middle of the city. Nobody seemed to use them, but that doesn't really surprise me as it was cold enough (in summer) to get a bit chilly around the edges.

I walked past all the shops of Brixton, noticing firstly how many of them were closed and secondly the the feel of optimism had left. It was quite obvious to me that in the year since I had been here last that London had taken a very hard hit. 

I started to get a little hungry and went into a supermarket and checked out things that we don't usually find in Australia. Pomegranate seeds ready to eat with a spoon. Big juicy luscious raspberries and so many varieties of yoghurt and chocolate. I buy some raspberries and vanilla yoghurt and have a decadent feed in the park.



The park that I choose has workmen finishing a children's playground that has a castle among other cool things. Three men sweep, blow leaves and tidy the area. They work hard and don't take a break. In Sydney, it seems that they are forever having a 'smoko'. As I sit in the park a light breeze starts up and I begin to shiver. Buttoning up my coat, I start the journey back to the warm house that awaits me. That is where I am now. Curling up in a doona or duvet as they may call it here. I think a little lunchtime nap is in order.



No comments:

Post a Comment